It is important to make sure your parents have talked to Indianapolis estate planning attorneys if they are getting older. While it can be a sensitive subject to bring up this issue with your parents, both you and your parents could be put into a difficult and complicated situation if your parents do not have the right plans in place in case they get sick or for after their death.
Frank & Kraft is here and ready to provide families with the assistance they need to make fully informed choices about preparing for the future. We can help clients to accomplish their goals for protecting their assets, family, and autonomy. We work closely with clients to ensure that the estate planning is easy, simple, and effective. If you need help with your own plans or you want to provide help to your parents in finding a qualified estate planning attorney that can provide assistance, our firm is here for you. Give us a call today to find out more about the assistance our Indianapolis estate planning attorneys can offer.
Why It’s Important to Make Sure Your Parents Talk to Indianapolis Estate Planning Attorneys
It is important to make sure your parents talk with Indianapolis estate planning attorneys because:
- Tough decisions may need to be made in the event of serious illness: If your parents get sick or are hurt, they may not be able to communicate their preferences regarding medical care they wish to receive or wish to deny. You don’t want to be put into a situation where life-or-death medical decisions need to be made without input from your parents about what care they would and would not want to receive. Your parents can maintain their autonomy and spare you painful choices by making a living will.
- Your parents may need someone to manage assets and make decisions: In the event of incapacity, someone will need to begin making decisions and managing assets on your parent’s behalf if they become unable to act on their own autonomy. If your parents have put a power of attorney in place, then they can decide who has authority — and the designated agent will immediately be able to begin taking legal action. If your parents have no plans in place and become incapacitated, you may need to go to court to get a guardian or conservator named.
- Your parents may need to move into a nursing home: This could become very costly and could result in a lifetime of savings being spent very quickly unless plans have been put into place to ensure that your parents are able to qualify for Medicaid nursing home coverage when they need care. Your parents should make a Medicaid plan and should also consider taking action in advance to decide which nursing home is the right setting for them.
For all of these reasons, you should make sure that your parents have talked with an attorney. If they haven’t, it’s time to have a conversation with them about why it is so important to them and to your entire family that they get the right legal help. Frank & Kraft will make the process of putting a plan in place easy for them, so they can reach out to us at any time.
Getting Help from Indianapolis Estate Planning Attorneys
Indianapolis estate planning attorneys at Frank & Kraft will work closely with clients to develop the right plans for their future. We understand that it can be stressful and difficult to create an estate plan, but it is best for you and your loved ones if you have the right plans in place. We work to make the process simple, straightforward and easy, so you and your loved ones are always prepared no matter what the future holds.
To find out more about the ways in which our legal team can help you or your loved ones with estate planning issues, join us for a free seminar. You can also give us a call at 317-684-1100 or contact us online to get your personalized estate plan underway.
- How Much Does It Cost to Probate an Estate in Indiana? - February 20, 2024
- Tips for Managing a Child’s Inheritance - February 15, 2024
- Estate Planning for Artists: How to Protect Your Creations - February 13, 2024