An elder law attorney can provide help with Medicaid services and with much more. If you want to make sure you have financial security during your golden years, getting help from an elder law attorney is a smart choice. Elder law attorneys can also help to make sure your family is not faced with difficulty choices if you get sick or pass away, and that you don’t end up getting unwanted medical care in a time of emergency.
Frank & Kraft provides elder law services to people of all ages. While the issues addressed by elder law attorneys are often of more concern to seniors, even young people need to make smart choices when it comes to financial planning, asset protection and incapacity issues. An elder law attorney can help. Call today to get information on services available that are customized to your situation and to get answers to important questions including:
- What kinds of elder law services do I need?
- What kinds of Medicaid services do I need?
- How can an Indianapolis elder law and Medicaid services lawyer help?
What Kinds of Elder Law Services Do You Need?
Elder law services are aimed at helping people with planning for the end of their life. The services that you may require in order to make sure you do not get unwanted medical care, that your assets are protected, and that your family is cared for include:
- The creation of a power of attorney and/or of living trusts to make sure your assets are managed if you become unable to take care of your own affairs due to illness or injury. Unless you have taken this step, your family will need to initiate guardianship proceedings in court, which can be expensive and leave someone in charge of your assets who you wouldn’t have chosen.
- The creation of trusts and the use of other legal tools which can keep your assets safe in case you need to go into a nursing home. Without a plan in place at least five years before nursing home care becomes necessary, some or all of your money will need to be spent on the cost of a nursing home before you can get the government to pay for nursing care.
- The creation of advanced directives so your family doesn’t have to make difficult choices about the kinds of medical care you should receive and so you do not end up getting care you do not want.
- The creation of a healthcare power of attorney so it is clear who your healthcare proxy is. This can help prevent family fighting over who should make your medical care choices.
You also need to make sure you have made provisions for what will happen to your property and to your loved ones if you pass away. Some of the elder law services focused on what happens after your death include:
- The creation of trusts to avoid estate taxes and to make it possible for assets to be transferred more quickly and efficiently outside of the probate process.
- The use of trusts to protect heirs from losing the property or assets you give them. This is important if your heirs have special needs or if they are not effectively able to manage money.
- The creation of a plan to provide for pets and for underaged children. You need to name a guardian for your children and pets. You may also wish to make plans to provide for the financial costs of caring for kids or animals.
- The use of a last will and testament to determine who will receive assets not transferred through joint accounts, trusts, or other methods.
For each person, the types of elder law services they receive will be tailored to their own specific needs. An experienced attorney can help to find solutions.
What Kinds of Medicaid Services Do You Need?
One of the most important issues addressed by an Indianapolis elder law attorney is Medicaid planning. Medicaid is likely the only insurer who will pay for custodial care in a nursing home, since neither Medicare nor private insurers pay for routine care. You can qualify for Medicaid only if you have few resources or no resources, so you need to structure the ownership of your assets to make sure your money and property doesn’t count in determining eligibility. Frank & Kraft can provide the Medicaid services you need to protect some or all of your assets, depending upon when you begin your planning.
How can an Indianapolis Elder Law & Medicaid Services Lawyer Help?
If you are ready to achieve a more secure future for yourself and your loved ones, call Frank & Kraft today at (317) 684-1100 or contact us online to take control of your destiny.